Hello, Thank you for reading! I'm Marvin, a UX designer from Parsons School of Design.
In my previous life, I did...
- Psychology (2014) - Awarded top student (First in class) at Oxfords Summer School's Experimental Psychology Program.
- Sports (2015) - Won division one Street Hockey championships. It is similar to hockey but better. You can use both sides of the stick and body-slam people. Did karate at a pre-national level and parkour as well.
- Music (2015) - Completed Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (ABRSM) Grade 7 clarinet and Grade 8 piano. Grade 8 is a pre-professional level. Getting 101/140 marks for my Grade 7 clarinet, with 100 marks as a passing mark, made me realize I would not do very well as a musician...
- Mathematics (2016) - Explored and still following through on my interest in Mathematical Philosophy.
- Fashion (2016) - Started a fashion couture house with Cheryl Chan, who managed the business. The prefall collection I designed was selected for the runway at the Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts.
- Space Architecture (2016) - Read the latest discourse, and had direct access to NASA as well as MIT PhDs.
- Art (2017) - Learned to render hyper-realistically after having classical training with my mentor, Gert Cota. His last painting was featured in the 2017 Beauty and the Beast movie.
- Photography (2018) - Photographed New York Fashion Week 2018 Fall/Winter shows such as Anna Sui and Libertine as a teen :))
I like to think I lived an interesting life ;)
Parsons School of Design - The New School (2018-2021)
- Bachelor of Fine Arts - BFA Art, Media, and Technology: Illustration, GPA: 3.84
- Dean’s list: Spring 2018, Fall 2018
- Dean's Scholarship for recognition of achievements before enrolment.
- Tau Sigma National Honor Society for recognition of achievements after enrolment.
- On track to completing a double minor in Communication Design, and Creative Coding.
University of Hong Kong (June 2016- Dec 2017)
- Bachelor of Architecture Studies - BA(AS).
- Negotiated structural, functional, and aesthetic demands.
User Experience Consultant - Miro AI (Jan 2019, Hong Kong)
- Advised on the primary consumer product at Miro, with 2019 projected revenue at 2.1 million USD.
- Reported to former Global Directors at McDonald’s.
- Derived more than 20 actionable recommendations from Google Analytics and FullStory.com (using two approaches, inquiry-based and segmenting by jobs-to-be-done).
- Determined smaller A/B tests to validate design recommendations.
- Wire-framed design recommendations as input for an external design agency.
- Drove results in two weeks and 20% under budget.
Workshop: Applications of Digital Analytics and Management Strategies in UX - Grand Central Tech, Startup in Residence (Nov 2018 - Jan 2019)
- Led product strategy within a team of 3, including the former Director of Product Management at Capital One Labs (product owner), and an Analyst Developer at Goldman Sachs (tech lead).
- The project was supported by Grand Central Tech.
- Designed a desktop dashboard for estate and financial planners to manage their workflow.
General Assembly (Jul 2018)
- Developed insight into designing an application for a client.
- Used lean UX methods: affinity mapping, wire-framing, as well as paper prototyping.
- Validated results through user research, eg. interviews and usability tests.
Creative Intern - Constant Creative (Jun 2018, Hong Kong)
- Worked with the only team of four designers
- Contributed to multiple accounts ranging from start-ups to Fortune 1000 companies.
- Created advertising materials, eg. posters and brand collaterals under brand guidelines.
- Worked on Nikon instagram video campaign, art direction of Steelcase’s promotional video, window display of The Nate, among others.
Researcher (Architecture and Urban Planning) - Council of the European Union (Sep 2016 - Nov 2016, Hong Kong)
- “City Smart Development in Europe: Vienna” is a joint venture between the European Union Academic Program, the Austrian Consulate General, and the City Gallery of Hong Kong.
- 1 of 8 researchers under Professor Stefan Krakhofer tasked with researching the inefficiencies within the public housing scheme in Hong Kong through comparative historical analysis.
- Responsible for researching the development of public housing in Hong Kong from 1950 to 1975.
- The Chief Secretary for Administration of Hong Kong, Ms. Carrie Lam, and the Deputy Mayor of Vienna, Ms. Maria Vassilakou were among the guests at the reception of the final showcase.
- MITx on edX - 6.00.1x: Introduction to Computer Science and Programming Using Python
- PWC on Coursera - Data Driven Decision Making
- Google - Google Analytics Individual Qualification
- Google - Google Ads Fundamentals
- Facebook - Brand Safety Across the Facebook Family of Apps and Services
- Facebook - Deliver Ads and Evaluate Outcomes with Facebook Pixel
- UX: Rapid Prototyping, Information Architecture, Wireframing, Sketch, Web design, User interface design, usability testing, Adobe XD, Invision, Origami Studio
- Creative: Adobe CC Photoshop, Indesign, Illustrator, Premier Pro, Lightroom
- Coding: HTML, CSS, Bootstrap, Python
- Languages: English, Chinese, Mandarin
Available on Linkedin